Khadi Pakodas

My first try with dumplings in a curry was at my workplace some five years back. Not a very big fan of these curries but once a while I don't mind having them. They aren't healthy any ways. Kofta used to be the one's served in the North Indian meals at office. Gradually I began to like the Veg/Meat ball curries, the once we get in Chineese cuisine but the Koftas and Khadi Pakodas still hadn't got to my list of favourites. The taste of besan does not go down well to me more so because the south indian khadi version does not contain besan. 

One fine evening, when deciding the dinner menu, I randomly searched some dish with Besan as the ingredient and my eyes fell upon this dish. As curious as I was, I just decided to give it a try since I had all the required ingredients as well.  I did read through many sites but finally decided to go with Nag's Edible Garden since I have tried many of her recipes before hand I was sure this would work out too. I haven't changed much of the recipe except that I added some onions and curry leaves to the tempering and added some vegetables like carrot and beans as well to the pakodas.

This is how it goes.

Ingredients
Khadi
2 cups curd / plain yogurt
1 cup water
1/3 cup besan / gram flour
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilly powder - adjust to your needs

Tempering
1-2 red chilly, broken into half
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp oil
One strand curry leaves
1/2 onions finely chopp

Pakodas
2 cups besan /gram flour
1 onion, finely chopped
1 potato, finely chopped
1 carrot grated
1/2 cup beans finely chopped
2 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
A pinch of asafoetida/hing
1/2 tsp baking powder
Salt
Water

My Way of Making
1. Mix together the ingredients for the pakodas to form a batter. Add just enough water to make them into pakodas and not make them watery. 
2. Deep fry the pakodas in hot oil and set them aside in paper towel.
3. Beat the curd well and to this add besan, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt. Mix well.
4. Prepare the tempering, lower the flame and add the curd mixture and bring to boil with continuous stirring 
5. When time for dinner, add the pakodas, stir them well and serve with rotis.

Note
1. Make sure to add the pakodas just before serving else they turn soggy.


Comments

Popular Posts