Crunchy Poha Snack


Every evening I gaze into my kitchen shelves to spot out that one ingredient with which I could make some quick healthy snack. Most of the days it just ends up with that, thanks to the summers who would want to sweat it out in the kitchen even for a quick snack. A few days back it just got different when I remembered I had bookmarked a recipe

I recently started following LoveFoodEat, oh boy! you should see how she manages to dish out interesting and different dishes with normal stuff like Tamarind or for that matter Whole Wheat fllour and did I tell you all her food are organic stuff. Of course I just sit and read them for the love of her photographs she manages to click while making these yummy dishes. One such post was her Sweet Crunchy Rice Balls.

This dish comes close to the peanut or sesame balls which are made with jaggery syrup and close to aval nanachathu ( a kerala delicacy). I am sure this has got you drooling already. So let me spare you with the story and get to the recipe

Ingredients
1 cup Flattened Rice or Poha (200 gms)
3/4 cup Jaggery (150 gms)
1/4  cup water or even less
Cardamom 3-4 pods
Sesame Seeds 2 tbsp
Ghee 2 tsp(optional) 
Coconut oil/Ghee 


My Way of Making
1.  Heat a wok and to it add the 2 tsp of ghee. Roast the flattened rice till crisp in low to medium flame.
2. Prepare the jaggery syrup and when its thick enough add the crushed cardamom pods and let it remain on the heat on low flame least you want the syrup getting hard.
3. Roast the sesame seeds as well.
4. Add the crisp poha and  sesame seeds to the jaggery syrup and mix well together till the mixture starts leaving the sides. 
5. Apply some ghee or coconut oil (I used coconut oil this time for a change)  to your hands and start rolling the mixture into balls once the mixture has cooled off a bit for you might burn your hand if you are not fast enough.
6. Allow to cool and store them in air tight containers or in the refrigirator


Notes
1. Use just the right amount of jaggery else you might end up in a too sweet dish and taste bitter.
2. This dish might  burn your hands so take extreme precaution while rolling the balls.

Comments

Popular Posts