Being a mom, I know how good Moong dal is for a growing kid. I looked around a lot for some interesting recipes with Moong Dal but just found the usual fritters or soups and halwa which I was clearly in no mood to try. My niche is baking and that's what I wanted to try.
Having read about a baker who chose the healthy way of baking cakes and getting professional with them and Moong dal cakes being her TM and best seller, I wanted to try them too and that's how this cake came into being. Its just so easy on your tummy and I being a person who doesn't like much of cream and fondants on my cake or my kids cake have kept it way too healthy and simple. Did you realise the recipe is egg less and butter less making it apt for the Mommies too.
Roasted and Finely Powdered Moong Dal 200gms
Cocoa Powder 3 tbsps
Baking Powder 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda 1/4 tsp
Curd/Yoghurt 200 ml
Neutral Flavour Oil 1/4 cup (some 25 to 50 ml)
Sugar 100 gms or as per your taste
Shredded dry coconut 1/2 cup
My way of making
1. Sift together the powdered Moong dal, baking powder and baking soda
2. To this add Cocoa powder and mix them well.
3. In a separate bowl mix together Curd, sugar and oil.
4. Combine together the wet and dry ingredients until just well combined.
5. Do not over mix.
6. Preheat oven to 180C/350F
7. Prepare a cake tin and pour the mix and top it with shredded coconut and bake for about 25 minutes or till the centre of the cake is done.
1. Could be made more nutritious with nuts of your choice.
2. Flavours could be added.
3. It keeps well for a week, if stored in air tight containers and refrigerated.
4. If you are using eggs and butter please let me know the results.